The first board was put up on Camp S-90 on June 12, 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Camp Sacandaga has been around ever since that day. Originally it housed over 200 men as they worked to improve the area around Lake Pleasant and in the Adirondacks.
Things changed with the start of WW2. The camp closed as many of the men joined the military. In 1945 the camp was purchased by 4-H, and the camp offered programs to youth until it closed it’s doors in 2005. For awhile the camp sat, empty and almost forgotten. But in 2010 it was purchased in 2010 and a large number of improvemnets were made to the camp, including the addition of the pool.
Camp Tekoa briefly used as a camp for religious retreats and children with disabilities starting in 2014, but was unable to substain a program.
In Feburary of 2016, Jim Tavares, former director of 4-H Camp Sacandaga, obtained the camp through a lease to own agreement, and has been running programs ever since.
The Alumni Group was put together when the 4-H camp closed in 2005. It’s goals is to keep alive the traditions and history of the 4-H Camp program.
Click the links below to learn more about the different phases of camp.